Friday 25 May 2018

Module Reviews For Year 3, Semester 1 (AY2015/2016)

This is my compulsory Industrial Attachment(IA) Semester hence I am only allowed to take up to 8mcs worth of module. Since, I was also taking EG3301R from the last semester, it spilled over to this semester worth 6mcs so I did not take any other modules.

Check out my other reviews:
Year 1 Sem 1
Year 1 Sem 2
Year 2 Sem 1
Year 2 Sem 2

EG3611 - Industrial Attachment (24 weeks)
Difficulty - 10/10

This module is a compulsory 24 weeks internship where every engineering student has to go through either in their year 3 semester 1 or 2.

I will not reveal where I work as I would like to stay anonymous as long as possible but it is a Research and Development(R&D) firm which helped me to learn a lot about the industry and how design process is conducted in an MNC. Furthermore, it feels a lot more structured and well documented as compared to what I have done for my DCP project and I believe it has helped me to open my eyes to the product development industry.

Word of caution: Try to get used to sleeping earlier and be on time for your IA. Furthermore, best is to prevent yourself from eating too much during lunch otherwise, it is very difficult to fight off the food coma.

Module Breakdown
Interim report (week 12)
Interim presentation (week 12)
Final report
Final presentation

EG3301R - DCP Project
Difficulty - 10/10 (especially tiring since I took it during IA semester and I believe it is not encouraged anymore)

This module is spread over 2 semesters from year 2 semester 2 to year 3 semester 1, where it is worth 6mcs per semester. You will have to choose a project and form groups with people whom you most likely will not know unless you are part of a project group that has been ongoing for a while like FSAE or Bumblebee and your project will be related to those. Otherwise, you get to choose projects where there is a wide variety (can't really remember anymore). I will not reveal my project as I will prefer that less people can identify me from this blog post.

Not really sure how to review this module but it will be multi disciplinary and you will have to work with people from different majors or if your project is filled with say all mechanical students, and there are electrical components, it will still have to be done and someone needs to do it regardless of their majors.

However, a word of caution is that this module has a lot of documentation to do as shown in the module breakdown below and the actual design and prototyping process might have insufficient time. Furthermore, be prepared to spend a lot of time on the project if you would like to get a better grade.

Lecture
Lectures are about design thinking and will last through the first half of year 2 semester 2. After that it will be industry talks and all are compulsory as it will contribute to 5% of your grade.

Module Breakdown (rough estimate as I have forgot the actual breakdown)
Class participation: 5%
Design template A: 10%
Design template B: 10%
Interim poster presentation: 15%
Interim report: 15%
Design template C:15%
Final presentation:15%
Final report:15%


No comments:

Post a Comment